We will no longer be supporting IE7 and below as a web browser effective June 1st 2020. Click here for more information.

Sign In
Skip Navigation LinksWorking-in-Canada Working in Canada
Skip Navigation LinksImmigration Simcoe > Working > Working in Canada

Working in Canada

​​​​Your Rights at Work

If you have questions or concerns about your rights at work, you may choose to speak with your employer or the Human Resources department at your place of employment. If you are uncomfortable approaching your employer or still have questions or concerns after speaking with your employer, you can contact the following:

Occupational Health and Safety Act (OHSA)

Sets out the rights and duties of workers, supervisors, employers and others for safe and healthy workplaces

As a worker, you have the right to:

•      Know about workplace hazards

•      Refuse unsafe work

•      Participate in addressing workplace health and safety issues

Some examples of employer duties are to:

•      Provide basic health and safety awareness training to workers and supervisors

•      Provide information, instruction and supervision to workers on how to work safely

•      Do everything reasonable in the circumstances to protect workers from being hurt or getting a work-related illness

There are a series of training tools to help you learn how to work safely – several available in different languages at ontario.ca/learntoworksafe

For more information: ontario.ca/HealthAndSafetyAtWork, email: webohs@ontario.ca, or call: Health and Safety Contact Centre toll-free at 1-877-202-0008​

What are taxes?

Taxes are collected from individual Canadians and businesses by the government to help pay for roads, schools, health care, and other important government programs and services.  Taxes are collected in different ways.

Income Tax: In Canada, a portion of each employee's income is considered taxable. Most employees choose to have this amount deducted directly off their paycheque, while others choose to calculate what they owe when they file their annual taxes and pay the difference at that time. The amount each person is required to pay varies based on their total annual earnings, minus any deductions and credits. For more information about income tax, visit the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) website.

Businesses in Ontario

Businesses in Ontario are also required to pay taxes, depending on the type of business being operated. For more information about filing taxes and other tax information for business in Ontario, visit the Service Ontario ONe-Source for Business website.

Here is a list of resources for more information about the tax system in Ontario

Click here to learn more about sales tax and property tax.

Employment Standards

The Employment Standards Act is a law in Ontario, which has rules employers must follow. The Employment Standards Act applies for most workers in Ontario; however, it does not apply to workers in federally-regulated industries, such as banks. The standards tell employers what they can and cannot make you do. These include the rules about termination pay, unpaid wages, public holiday pay, minimum wage, hours of work, and leaves. 

Employment Standards Information Centre
GTA: 416-326-7160
Canada-wide: 1-800-531-5551
TTY: 1-866-567-8893

Need other languages?

The Employment Standards Information Centre (1-800-531-5551) provides service in 23 different languages.

Minimum wage is the lowest hourly wage rate an employer can pay an employee. The Ontario Ministry of Labour provides additional information about the minimum wage guidelines, including the current wage rates and exemptions.​

What is a SIN and why it's important

You need a Social Insurance Number (SIN) to work in Canada. You will need to provide your Social Insurance Number (SIN) to your employer when accepting a job offer. Your employer requires your Social Insurance Number (SIN) for tax purposes. You are responsible for updating your Social Insurance Number (SIN) before it expires.

If you are a refugee claimant or a temporary resident, you will get a Social Insurance Number (SIN) with an expiration date. These Social Insurance Numbers (SINs) start with 9. You are responsible for updating your SIN before it expires.

Your Social Insurance Number is very important. There are times when you do not have to show your Social Insurance Number (SIN) card. Some examples include:

  • proving your identity (except for some specific government programs)
  • completing a job application before you get the job
  • discussing a lease with a landlord
  • completing a credit card application
  • cashing a cheque
  • subscribing to long-distance or cellular telephone services

Visit Service Canada for more information about when you should and shouldn't provide your SIN card.

How to get a SIN card

To get a Social Insurance Number (SIN) application form, go to the nearest Service Canada Centre and fill it out in person. You can download the application form from the Service Canada website before hand, if you prefer.

The information listed below was provided by 211 Community Connection.

Service Canada
Service Canada: Barrie

Barrie Service Canada Centre
48 Owen St
Barrie, ON L4M 3H1

Phone: 1-800-206-7218

Service Canada: Midland​

Huronia Mall 
9225 Hwy 93
Midland, ON L4R 4K4

Phone: 1-800-206-7218

Service Canada: Orillia

 50 Andrew St S 
Orillia, ON L3V 7T5 (Orillia City Centre)

Phone: 1-800-206-7218

Service Canada:

Wasaga Beach

Municipal Building 
30 Lewis St
Wasaga Beach, ON L9Z 1A1

Phone: 1-800-206-7218

Service Canada: Collingwood

The Federal Bldg 
44 Hurontario St 
Collingwood, ON L9Y 2L6

Phone: 1-800-206-7218