We will no longer be supporting IE7 and below as a web browser effective June 1st 2020. Click here for more information.

Sign In
Skip Navigation LinksFinancial-Assistance-Living Financial Assistance
Skip Navigation LinksImmigration Simcoe > Living > Financial Information > Financial Assistance

Financial Assistance

​​​​​​​​Employment Insurance (EI)                        

Employment Insurance (EI) is run by the Government of Canada. Employment Insurance provides temporary financial assistance to unemployed workers. Workers who are sick, pregnant, or caring for a newborn or adopted child, as well as those who must care for a family member who is seriously ill with a significant risk of death, may also be assisted by Employment Insurance.

Eligibility requirements depend on where you live and the type of benefits for which you are applying.  Always apply for Employment Insurance benefits as soon as you stop working. You can apply for benefits even if you have not yet received your Record of Employment. If you delay filing in your claim for benefits for more than four weeks after your last day of work, you may lose benefits.

For more information about eligibility and the length of time you can receive benefits, contact Service Canada.

 The information listed below was provided by 211 Community Connection.

Service Canada
Service Canada: Barrie

Barrie Service Canada Centre
48 Owen St
Barrie, ON L4M 3H1


Service Canada: Midland

Huronia Mall
9225 Hwy 93
Midland, ON L4R 4K4


Service Canada: Orillia

50 Andrew St S
Orillia, ON L3V 7T5
(Orillia City Centre)


Service Canada: Wasaga Beach

Municipal Building
30 Lewis St
Wasaga Beach, ON L9Z 1A1


Service Canada: Collingwood​

The Federal Bldg
44 Hurontario St
Collingwood, ON L9Y 2L6


Workplace Safety & Insurance Board (WSIB)                                            

The Workplace Safety and Insurance Board (WSIB) is an agency that handles workplace insurance. If you were injured at your place of work you may be eligible for benefits provided by WSIB. Benefits provided by WSIB relate to health-care benefits, health-care equipment and supplies, loss of earnings, loss of retirement income, future economic loss, non-economic loss, occupational disease and survivor benefits, seriously injured workers, and compensation for survivors. Not all workplaces are covered under WSIB. In order to receive benefits through WSIB, you must file a claim and be deemed eligible.

The Workplace Safety and Insurance Board
Telephone: 416-344-1000
Toll free: 1-800-387-0750
TTY: 1-800-387-0050​

Ontario Works (OW)

Ontario Works is a program that provides basic financial and employment assistance to people in need. The County of Simcoe Ontario Works Department​ delivers this program to eligible Simcoe County residents.

Basic Financial Assistance

Applicants who qualify for Ontario Works Assistance can receive money to help cover the cost of basic needs (food, clothing, etc.) and shelter expenses. The amount of money they are eligible to receive depends on:

  • Family size
  • Age of dependents
  • Income
  • Assets
  • Shelter expenses

Employment Assistance Activities

As a condition of initial and continued eligibility for assistance, all employable adults must participate in one or more employment assistance activities. Ontario Works employment assistance helps people to become and stay employed, and includes employment activities such as:

  • Job search support services
  • Employment information session
  • Community participation (i.e. activities that allow people to contribute to the community and improve their employability)
  • Employment placement and job retention services
  • Supports for self-employment development
  • Referral to basic education
  • Young parenting program (Learning, Earning and Parenting, or LEAP)
  • Literacy and job-specific skills training
  • Screening for substance abuse and referral to assessment and treatment if necessary

The appropriate mix of employment assistance activities depends on the experience, skills, circumstances, and needs of individual applicants or participants and the realities of the local labour market. The amount of time a participant needs to engage in activities designed to help him or her increase employability and obtain sustainable employment will vary.

How to Apply

You can apply for social assistance online or by telephone.  

  • Visit the Ontario Works section of the County of Simcoe website to learn how to apply for social assistance online.
  • To apply by telephone contact the County of Simcoe Integrated Services Unit at (705) 722-3132 or if you live in the Beeton area (905) 729-4514 and follow the auto attendant prompts.
Ontario Disability Support Program (ODSP)

The Ontario Disability Support Program provides income support to eligible people with disabilities who are in financial need, as well as offering employment support to help those with disabilities who can and want to work.  This program helps participants prepare for and find a job. ODSP is managed and delivered by the Ministry of Community and Social Services.

Income Support provides financial help for people with disabilities who are in need. It can help pay for living expenses, like food and housing.

Benefits that may be available

If you qualify for Income Support, you and your family may also qualify for other benefits, such as:

  • Drug coverage
  • Dental coverage
  • Vision care
  • Hearing aids
  • Diabetic supplies
  • Help with transportation costs to medical appointments
  • Wheelchair/mobility device repairs and batteries
  • Help to support your guide dog
  • Help with work-related expenses

Working while receiving income support

Many people who receive Income Support can and want to work. Ontario Disability Support Program Employment Supports can help you get ready for a new job or a training program, and can help you keep your job if you are at risk of losing it. Depending on your situation, you can work and receive Income Support at the same time. If you work, ODSP may be able to help you with work-related costs, such as child care.

How to Apply

You can apply for ODSP online or by telephone.   

Barrie​(705) 737-1311
Toll Free: 1-800-461-7551
TDD/TTY: (705) 737-9601
Services available in French and English

​(705) 325-7408
Toll Free: 1-800-565-9871
TTY: (705) 325-3887
Services available in French and English