New initiatives in Simcoe County
The Simcoe County Local Immigration Partnership, working in partnership with the Simcoe Muskoka Workforce Development Board, has begun preliminary steps to explore ways to strategically connect skilled immigrant talent with local employers. The viability and formation of an Immigrant Employment Council (IEC) is being explored. Small, medium and large employers can become involved in the IEC's development.
Become a Business Champion
Share your journey towards inclusivity and diversity in the workplace with interested stakeholders.
Join the IEC as it begins to build programs and supports to connect local employers with immigrant talent and skills. Simcoe County IEC is committed to building a strong and vibrant workforce.
Simcoe County Newcomer Recognition Awards
The Newcomer Recognition Awards celebrate Simcoe County residents, businesses, and organizations who are working to improve the lives of immigrants. The event is held annually in the fall and nominations are accepted in eleven categories. The following awards acknowledge the efforts of local employers:
- Culturally Diverse Workforce: A business or organization that is developing a culturally-diverse workforce through strategic recruitment of immigrants.
- Welcoming Work Environment: A business or organization that has taken steps to provide a welcoming work environment for immigrant employees.
- Marketing and Outreach: A business or organization demonstrating strategies or implementing initiatives that successfully market to immigrants.
For more information: Simcoe County Immigration Website
Become a top employer and attract diverse talent
Enhance internal diversity and inclusivity policies and attract new employees, customers and clients.
When hiring consider:
- Assessing candidates for qualifications and skills that recognize foreign credentials and experience
- The skills and abilities of the candidate to do the job based on
relevant work experience and job-related knowledge, regardless of where the experience was obtained. Don't rely on "Canadian Experience."
- Providing staff with on-going diversity and cultural competency training
- Recognizing diverse holidays and traditions within your organization.
Diversity Training and E-learning Resources
Integrate and Retain