We will no longer be supporting IE7 and below as a web browser effective June 1st 2020. Click here for more information.

Sign In
Skip Navigation LinksApply-for-Post-Secondary-Education Apply for Post-Secondary Education
Skip Navigation LinksImmigration Simcoe > Education > Post Secondary > Apply for Post-Secondary Education

Apply for Post-Secondary Education



Academic RequirementsAcademic Requirements<p>Different colleges and universities require different credentials and experiences to be accepted into their programs. Colleges and universities require students to have completed a secondary school diploma (high school diploma) or equivalent (such as a general education diploma). Schools set entrance requirements for their programs. Some programs may only require a secondary school diploma, while others may require that you complete specific subjects and level of courses while in secondary school. It is important to research the entrance requirements carefully before you apply. To learn more, contact the Office of Registrar (also referred to as the “Registrar’s Office” or “Admissions Office”) at the school you wish to attend.  </p><p>If you earned your academic credentials outside of Canada, they are often referred to as "international credentials" or "foreign credentials.” To enrol in an Ontario post-secondary school, you may be required to have your international academic credentials evaluated.  To learn more about evaluating your credentials for education purposes, visit the Academic Credentials to Study at a Post-Secondary School section. It is important that you contact the school you wish to attend before you have your credentials evaluated to ensure that you fully understand the school’s requirements. </p><p>Students who are currently enrolled in secondary school can also speak with their school’s guidance counsellor to learn more about the academic requirements for post-secondary school.  </p><p>​</p>
Language RequirementsLanguage Requirements<p>If your first language is not English, and you wish to attend an English speaking post-secondary school, you may be required to take an English language test to study in college or university.  There is usually a fee for these tests. Each educational institution will set a minimum score you are required to obtain in order to be accepted into their program. Before you take an English language assessment test, first check with the school you wish to attend. Each school may have a different process for you to complete the test.  </p><p>To learn more, contact the Office of Registrar (also referred to as the “Registrar’s Office” or “Admissions Office”) at the school you wish to attend. </p><p>​</p>
Academic UpgradingAcademic Upgrading<p>If you are interested in attending a post-secondary institution but do not have academic or language requirements, there are resources in Simcoe County that can support you. There are programs to help you improve your English and French language skills as well as academic upgrading. Academic upgrading refers to programs and services that can help you improve your literacy skills, earn a secondary school diploma / equivalency certificate or prepare for your college entrance tests. To learn more, see the Academic Upgrading for Adults section.​</p>
How to Apply to CollegeHow to Apply to College<p>Ontario College Application Service (OCAS) processes applications for public colleges in Ontario. Through this service you can apply to any public college in Ontario. To learn more about applying to college, visit: <a href="http://www.ocas.ca/" target="_blank"><font color="#0066cc">www.ocas.ca</font></a> and <a href="http://www.ontariocolleges.ca/" target="_blank"><font color="#0066cc">www.ontariocolleges.ca</font></a>​</p>