We will no longer be supporting IE7 and below as a web browser effective June 1st 2020. Click here for more information.

Sign In
Skip Navigation LinksEvaulating-Credentials Evaulating Credentials
Skip Navigation LinksImmigration Simcoe > Education > Evaluating Credentials

Evaulating Credentials

​​“Credentials” refers to qualifications and documents that prove your achievements. Credentials can refer to both academic and professional accomplishments.

“Academic credentials” includes education qualifications such as high school diplomas, college diplomas, university degrees and certificates you have completed or partially completed. "Professional credentials" refers to occupational qualifications, such as professional certificates or work experience.

If you earned your academic credentials outside of Canada, they are often referred to as "international credentials" or "foreign credentials.” To be licensed with a professional association or to study in Canada, you may need to have credentials you completed outside of Canada evaluated.

There are local services to help you understand the credential recognition process.

The information listed below was provided by 211 Community Connection.

Understanding Credential Recognition ​ ​
Welcome Centre for Immigrant Services: Mobile Unit Accreditation Qualification and Information Services​

Telephone: 1-877-761-1155

Email: info@welcomecentre.ca​



Licensing with Professional AssociationsLicensing with Professional Associations<p>One of the requirements of professional associations for licensure is an evaluation of international credentials. This evaluation may be referred to as an "accreditation."  The process, cost, lengths of time, and required documentation to complete an accreditation varies. Some professional associations have internal evaluation services, and others outsource their evaluation requirements to external evaluation services. If you want to get a license in a regulated profession, contact the professional association directly and ask about their evaluation requirements. You will want to contact the professional association before you get an external evaluation. This will help ensure you do exactly what is required by the association to join.​</p>
Academic CredentialsAcademic Credentials<h2>Recognition in Prior Learning and Prior Learning Assessment and Recognition</h2><p>Recognition in Prior Learning (RPL) and Prior Learning Assessment and Recognition (PLAR) are processes that compare skills and knowledge you may have attained from prior education, work/volunteer and life experiences to Canadian education courses/programs and employment requirements. In this process you are able to demonstrate that your previous learning and experience is valid. If you demonstrate your experience is equivalent, you may be able to receive formal Canadian education credits, apply to challenge a regulatory process or find employment in a related field with the intent of becoming certified.</p><p>For more information on Recognition in Prior Learning and Prior Learning Assessment and Recognition, contact the following:</p><h4>The information listed below was provided by 211 Community Connection.</h4><table width="100%" class="ms-rteTable-6" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr class="ms-rteTableHeaderRow-6"><th class="ms-rteTableHeaderEvenCol-6" rowspan="1" colspan="2" style="width:50%;"><strong>Recognition in Prior Learning/Prior Learning Assessment & Recognition</strong> ​</th></tr><tr class="ms-rteTableOddRow-6"><td class="ms-rteTableEvenCol-6" style="width:580px;"><strong><a href="http://www.welcomecentre.ca/" target="_blank"><font color="#0066cc">Welcome Centre for Immigrant Services: Mobile Unit Accreditation Qualification and Information Services</font></a></strong></td><td class="ms-rteTableOddCol-6"><p>1-877-761-1155<br><a href="mailto:info@welcomecentre.ca"><span lang="EN-CA"><font color="#0066cc">info@welcomecentre.ca</font></span></a></p></td></tr><tr class="ms-rteTableEvenRow-6"><td class="ms-rteTableEvenCol-6" style="width:580px;"><p><strong></strong><a href="http://www.georgiancollege.ca/" target="_blank"><strong><font color="#0066cc">Georgian College:Office of the Registrar</font></strong></a></p></td><td class="ms-rteTableOddCol-6">705-722-1511<br><a href="mailto:registrar@georgiancollege.ca"><span lang="EN-CA"><font color="#0066cc">registrar@georgiancollege.ca</font></span></a></td></tr><tr class="ms-rteTableOddRow-6"><td class="ms-rteTableEvenCol-6" style="width:580px;"><p><strong></strong><a href="http://www.thelearningcentres.com/" target="_blank"><strong><font color="#0066cc">Simcoe County District School Board Adult Learning Centre</font></strong></a></p><p>Locations in Alliston, Barrie, Bradford, Collingwood, Midland and Orillia</p></td><td class="ms-rteTableOddCol-6"><p>705-725-8360<br></p></td></tr><tr class="ms-rteTableEvenRow-6"><td class="ms-rteTableEvenCol-6" style="width:580px;"></td><td class="ms-rteTableOddCol-6"></td></tr></tbody></table><h2>Academic Credentials to Study at a Post-Secondary School</h2><p>If you wish to study at an Ontario post-secondary school, and you completed your education outside of Canada, you may need to have your credentials evaluated.</p><p>Each school has its own requirements for recognizing academic credentials granted outside of Canada.  If you want to have your credentials assessed so you can attend a college or university, you should first contact the Office of Admissions at the school you wish to attend. They can tell you their requirements and evaluation process; this may save you time and money.</p><p>Some schools will assess your credentials themselves and there is no fee for this service.  Other schools may require you to use an external service, referred to as a "credential evaluation service."  A credential evaluation service provides a report on how the academic credentials that you received outside of Canada compare to academic credentials obtained in Canada.  There is often a fee for this service.  This will help your school understand your academic background.  The evaluation from an academic credential evaluation service does not guarantee that you will be accepted into the school you wish to attend.  The school has the final judgement on how your academic credentials relate to their admission requirements.</p><p>​</p>