We will no longer be supporting IE7 and below as a web browser effective June 1st 2020. Click here for more information.

Sign In
Skip Navigation LinksSIN-Card SIN Card
Skip Navigation LinksImmigration Simcoe > SIN Card

SIN Card

What is a SIN and why it's important

You need a Social Insurance Number (SIN) to work in Canada. You will need to provide your Social Insurance Number (SIN) to your employer when accepting a job offer. Your employer requires your Social Insurance Number (SIN) for tax purposes. You are responsible for updating your Social Insurance Number (SIN) before it expires.

If you are a refugee claimant or a temporary resident, you will get a Social Insurance Number (SIN) with an expiration date. These Social Insurance Numbers (SINs) start with 9. You are responsible for updating your SIN before it expires.

Your Social Insurance Number is very important. There are times when you do not have to show your Social Insurance Number (SIN) card. Some examples include:

  • proving your identity (except for some specific government programs)
  • completing a job application before you get the job
  • discussing a lease with a landlord
  • completing a credit card application
  • cashing a cheque
  • subscribing to long-distance or cellular telephone services

Visit Service Canada for more information about when you should and shouldn't provide your SIN card.

How to get a SIN card

To get a Social Insurance Number (SIN) application form, go to the nearest Service Canada Centre and fill it out in person. You can download the application form from the Service Canada website before hand, if you prefer.

The information listed below was provided by 211 Community Connection.

Service Canada
Service Canada: Barrie

Barrie Service Canada Centre
48 Owen St
Barrie, ON L4M 3H1

Phone: 1-800-206-7218

Service Canada: Midland​

Huronia Mall 
9225 Hwy 93
Midland, ON L4R 4K4

Phone: 1-800-206-7218

Service Canada: Orillia

 50 Andrew St S 
Orillia, ON L3V 7T5 (Orillia City Centre)

Phone: 1-800-206-7218

Service Canada:

Wasaga Beach

Municipal Building 
30 Lewis St
Wasaga Beach, ON L9Z 1A1

Phone: 1-800-206-7218

Service Canada: Collingwood

The Federal Bldg 
44 Hurontario St 
Collingwood, ON L9Y 2L6

Phone: 1-800-206-7218


InMyLanguage.ca has more information about how to apply for Social Insurance Number (SIN) available in multiple languages.