We will no longer be supporting IE7 and below as a web browser effective June 1st 2020. Click here for more information.

Sign In
Skip Navigation LinksRights-at-Work Rights at Work
Skip Navigation LinksImmigration Simcoe > Rights at Work

Rights at Work

If you have questions or concerns about your rights at work, you may choose to speak with your employer or the Human Resources department at your place of employment. If you are uncomfortable approaching your employer or still have questions or concerns after speaking with your employer, you can contact the following:



Employment StandardsEmployment Standards<p>The Employment Standards Act is a law in Ontario, which has rules employers must follow. The Employment Standards Act applies for most workers in Ontario; however, it does not apply to workers in federally-regulated industries, such as banks. The standards tell employers what they can and cannot make you do. These include the rules about termination pay, unpaid wages, public holiday pay, minimum wage, hours of work, and leaves. </p><p><strong>Employment Standards Information Centre<br></strong>GTA: 416-326-7160<br>Canada-wide: 1-800-531-5551<br>TTY: 1-866-567-8893</p><p><strong>Need other languages?</strong></p><p>The Employment Standards Information Centre (1-800-531-5551) provides service in <a href="http://www.labour.gov.on.ca/english/multi/index.php" target="_blank"><span lang="EN-CA"><font color="#0066cc">23 different languages</font></span></a>.</p><p>Minimum wage is the lowest hourly wage rate an employer can pay an employee. The Ontario Ministry of Labour provides additional information about the <a href="https://www.labour.gov.on.ca/english/es/pubs/guide/minwage.php" target="_blank"><font color="#0066cc">minimum wage guidelines</font></a>, including the current wage rates and exemptions.</p><p>​</p>
Occupational Health and SafetyOccupational Health and Safety<p><strong>Occupational Health and Safety Act (OHSA)</strong></p><p>Sets out the rights and duties of workers, supervisors, employers and others for safe and healthy workplaces</p><p>As a worker, you have the right to: </p><h4>•      Know about workplace hazards </h4><h4>•      Refuse unsafe work</h4><h4>•      Participate in addressing workplace health and safety issues </h4><p>Some examples of employer duties are to:</p><h4>•      Provide basic health and safety awareness training to workers and supervisors </h4><h4>•      Provide information, instruction and supervision to workers on how to work safely </h4><h4>•      Do everything reasonable in the circumstances to protect workers from being hurt or getting a work-related illness</h4><p>There are a series of training tools to help you learn how to work safely – several available in different languages at <a href="http://www.ontario.ca/learntoworksafe"><font color="#0066cc">ontario.ca/</font></a><a href="http://www.ontario.ca/learntoworksafe"><font color="#0066cc">learntoworksafe</font></a></p><p><strong>For more information: </strong><a href="http://www.ontario.ca/HealthAndSafetyAtWork"><font color="#0066cc">ontario.ca/</font></a><a href="http://www.ontario.ca/HealthAndSafetyAtWork"><font color="#0066cc">HealthAndSafetyAtWork</font></a>, <strong>email: </strong><a href="mailto:webohs@ontario.ca"><font color="#0066cc">webohs@ontario.ca</font></a>, or <strong>call: </strong>Health and Safety Contact Centre toll-free at 1-877-202-0008</p><p>​</p>
Workplace InjuryWorkplace Injury<p>If you are injured in the workplace, you must first let your employer know so they can make sure no one else is hurt.  Some people who are injured in the workplace are eligible to claim benefits from the <span lang="EN-CA"><a href="/working/Pages/wsib.aspx"><font color="#0066cc">Workplace Safety and Insurance Board (WSIB)</font></a>.</span> Also see the <span lang="EN-CA"><a href="/working/Pages/rights.aspx#safety"><font color="#0066cc">Occupational Health and Safety</font></a></span> as your concern may relate to the Occupational Health and Safety Act.</p><p><strong>The Workplace Safety and Insurance Board<br></strong>Telephone: 416-344-1000<br>Toll free: 1-800-387-0750<br>TTY: 1-800-387-0050<br>Fax: 416-344-4684 or 1-888-313-7373</p><p>InMyLanguage.ca has more information about <span lang="EN-CA"><a href="http://english.inmylanguage.org/article.aspx?cat=EMPRIGHTS&docid=2272376" target="_blank"><font color="#0066cc">what to do if you get hurt at work</font></a></span><span lang="EN-CA"> </span>available in multiple languages.</p><p>​</p>
DiscriminationDiscrimination<p>The Ontario Human Rights Code is a law about discrimination that states an employer cannot discriminate against you because of your race, ancestry, place of origin, colour, ethnic origin, citizenship, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, family status, or marital status. </p><p><strong>Ontario Human Rights Tribunal<br></strong>416-326-1312<br><a href="http://www.hrto.ca/" target="_blank"><span lang="EN-CA"><font color="#0066cc">http://www.hrto.ca</font></span></a></p><p>InMyLanguage.ca has more information about <span lang="EN-CA"></span><a href="http://english.inmylanguage.org/article.aspx?cat=EMPRIGHTS&docid=2272270" target="_blank"><span lang="EN-CA"><font color="#0066cc">what to do if you feel harassed or discriminated against at work</font></span></a> available in multiple languages.</p><p>​</p>
Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA)Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA)<h2>Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA)</h2><p>Accessibility is the law in Ontario. The purpose of the AODA is to develop, implement and enforce standards for accessibility related to goods, services, facilities, employment, accommodation, and buildings.</p><p><strong>Ontario Ministry of Community and Social Services<br></strong>Phone: 1-866-515-2025<br>TTY: 416-325-3408<br>TTY Toll-Free: 1-800-268-7095<br>Fax: 416-325-3407<br><a href="mailto:accessibility@ontario.ca"><span lang="EN-CA"><font color="#0066cc">accessibility@ontario.ca</font></span></a></p><p>​</p>
Unions and Worker AdvocacyUnions and Worker Advocacy<p>If you have concerns relating to a workplace union, you can contact the Ontario Labour Relations Board. If you are interested in learning more about unions and union organizing, you can contact the Canadian Labour Congress. This organization advocates on behalf of all workers on workplace issues and workers rights.</p><p><strong>Ontario Labour Relation Board<br></strong><a href="http://www.olrb.gov.on.ca/" target="_blank"><font color="#0066cc">http://www.olrb.gov.on.ca/</font></a></p><p><strong>Canadian Labour Congress, Ontario Region<br></strong>1-800-387-3500</p><p>​</p>