We will no longer be supporting IE7 and below as a web browser effective June 1st 2020. Click here for more information.

Sign In
Skip Navigation LinksRetirement Retirement
Skip Navigation LinksImmigration Simcoe > Retirement


Financial Assistance for Seniors

When a person reaches a certain age, they may choose to retire from the workforce. When a person retires, they may be eligible for some financial assistance programs from the government, often called government pension benefits. Each government pension benefits program has different eligibility requirements. Here is a brief explanation of each; please visit the website for each program to learn additional details:

Seniors' Care

There are many steps involved in arranging care for yourself of a family member. In Ontario, the Community Care Access Centre (CCAC) is the primary contact for information on Seniors' Care.  You can learn more about the process by visiting the Home, Community and Residential Care Services for Seniors section of the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care's website.

The Ministry of Health and Long Term Care website identifies 4 categories of Home and Community Support Services for seniors to manage their care within their own home.

  • Visiting Health Professional Services provide health care in your home. Before providing care, these services will usually visit your home to assess your needs and make a care plan. Some supplies and equipment may be available through these programs as well.
  • Personal Care and Support services can help you with a variety of routine daily living activities such as bathing, dressing, toileting, eating and more.
  • Homemaking services assist you with routine household activities such as menu planning and meal preparation, shopping, light housekeeping and more.
  • Community Support Services include a wide variety of services such as meal delivery, transportation, caregiver relief, adult day programs, social and recreational services, security checks and more.

For seniors requiring residential care, the Ministry of Health and Long Term Care identifies 3 types of care:

  • Supportive Housing is for seniors who need minimal to moderate levels of personal care and support to live independently. Many locations have rent-geared-to-income subsidies available.
  • Retirement Homes are privately owned, and provide accommodations for seniors who need minimal to moderate levels of personal care and support to live independently. Retirement Homes are funded entirely by resident fees.
  • Long-Term Care Homes are designed for people who need access to 24-hour nursing care, supervision or higher levels of personal care. These homes are also known as nursing homes, municipal homes for the aged, or charitable homes. Residents pay for accommodation charges and the care is funded by the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care.

For more information on Senior's Care Services and Programs, contact a local Service Ontario location.  You can also visit the Service Ontario website or phone Service Ontario’s General Inquiry Line: 1-800-267-8097

The information listed below was provided by 211 Community Connection.

Service Ontario
Service Ontario Counter,  Collingwood Location

191 Hurontario St, Unit 6 
Collingwood, ON L9Y 2M1

Phone: 705-445-3530

Alliston Location

180 Parsons Rd, Unit 1 
Alliston, ON L9R 1E8

Phone: 705-435-7661

Barrie Service Counter

274 Burton Ave, Unit 21 
Barrie, ON L4N 5W4

Phone: 705-728-3861

Barrie Service Counter

34 Simcoe St, Unit 102 
Barrie, ON L4N 6T4

Phone: 1-800-267-8097

Barrie Service Counter

Bayfield Mall 
320 Bayfield St, Unit 104 
Barrie, ON L4M 3C1

Phone: 705-722-5210

Bradford Service Counter

100 Dissette St, Unit 9 
Bradford, ON L3Z 3G8

Phone: 1-800-267-8097

Orillia Service Counter

150 Front St S 
Orillia, ON L3V 4S7

Phone: 705-326-4424

Service Ontario, Stayner Counter7314 Hwy 26 
Stayner, ON L0M 1S0

Phone: 705-428-2821

Service Ontario, Driver and Vehicle License Issuing and Health Card Renewal Office, Elmvale

40 Yonge St S, Unit A 
Elmvale, ON L0L 1P0

Phone: 705-322-4181

Service Ontario, Driver and Vehicle License Issuing and Health Card Renewal Office, Midland

Huronia Mall 
9225 Hwy 93, Unit 20 
Midland, ON L4R 4K4

Phone: 705-526-1590

 Some communities have subsidized housing programs that focus on seniors. You may be able to get a subsidy for rent-geared-to-income housing.  For more information, visit the Social Housing section.

Seniors Health

Visit the Seniors' Health section to learn more about health services for seniors.