We will no longer be supporting IE7 and below as a web browser effective June 1st 2020. Click here for more information.

Sign In
Skip Navigation LinksRent-a-Home Rent a Home
Skip Navigation LinksImmigration Simcoe > Rent a Home

Rent a Home

​​​​​​​Renting a home means you have the right to live there, but you do not own it; you are the tenant. The landlord is the owner of the rental unit. The landlord can be an individual person or a company.

When you move into a rental unit, you will be asked to sign a lease, which is the contract between the tenant and the landlord. The lease outlines the responsibilities of the landlord and tenant, as well as the rental price. Most leases are for a period of one year.

It is common for landlords to ask for a rent deposit, or “first- and last-month’s rent” at the start of the tenancy.  This means you are paying rent to cover for the first month and the last month of living in a rental unit. The deposit must be used to cover the rent for the last month before the tenancy ends.

When you decide to move out of a rental unit, you must provide written notice to the landlord.  The written notice required is usually 60 days, but depending on the type of lease, it could be 28 days.

The Residentia​l Tenancies Act is the law in Ontario that outlines the relationship between tenants and landlords.  As a tenant, it is important to refer to the Residen​tial Tenancies Act to know your rights.  The Landlord​ and Tenant Board (LTB) is also an important source of information about the rights and responsibilities for tenants.

Landlord and Tenant Board: 1-888-332-3234

  • The Government of Ontario has compiled information in multiple languages to help landlords and tenants understand how to complete a standard lease, rental rules, rights, and responsibilities under the Residential Tenancies Act
  • The Canada Housing and Mortgage Corporation (CMHC) has a number of resources to help newcomers learn about renting a home in Canada on the Housing for Newcomers website.​
  • Visit Settlement.org to learn more about common words and phrases you might hear when you start looking for a place to rent.

Finding a Home to Rent

Apartments and houses for rent are usually listed in the classified section of the local newspaper and online resources.



Empower Simcoe Housing Resource Centres​


  • Orillia, ​​35 West Street North
  • Barrie, 39 Fraser Court
  • Midland, 522 Elizabeth Street
  • Collingwood, ​​485 Second Street Unit B​

Phone:​​  705-739-0485
Toll Free: 1-833-726-9082 ​​


CONTACT ​Housing Support Service



  • Alliston, 39 Victoria Street East
  • Bradford, 95 Holland Street West 

Phone:​​  705-435-4900 ext. 212​​
Email: contact@contactcommunityservices.ca​​​

 Settlement service agencies provide many services to assist newcomers to settle and adapt to life in Simcoe County, including information about housing. Click here​ for more information about settlement services in Simcoe County.

Subsidized Housing​

Subsidized housing is for people who do not have a lot of money to pay for rent. Rent is paid based on what you can afford. Subsidized housing receives government funding to make homes affordable to people with low incomes.  Subsidized housing is also referred to as rent-geared-to-income, non-profit, or social housing.

To qualify for subsidized housing, you must meet certain eligibility requirements. There are often waitlists for subsidized housing, which vary in each community based on housing availability and requirements.  To learn more about Subsidized Housing in Simcoe County, visit the County of Simcoe Social​ Housing Department website​​