DIVERSITY - The presence of a wide range of human qualities and attributes within a group, organization, or society. The dimensions of diversity include, but are not limited to: ancestry, culture, ethnicity, gender, gender identity, language, physical and intellectual ability, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, and socio-economic status.
* Source: Ministry of Education (2009). Realizing the promise of diversity: Ontario's equity and inclusive education strategy. Retrieved May 5, 2017 from http://www.edu.gov.on.ca/eng/policyfunding/equity.pdf.
Multiculturalism is about understanding each other and moving beyond simple tolerance to embracing and celebrating the rich dimensions of diversity contained in each individual.
* Source: University of Oregon. (n.d.). Definition of diversity. Retrieved May 5, 2017 from http://gladstone.uoregon.edu/~asuomca/diversityinit/definition.html
How to take safe and purposeful action
Diversity is more than just acknowledging and/or tolerating difference. Here is a conscious list of practices that one can take to value diversity:
- Understand and appreciate the interdependence of humanity, cultures, and the natural environment.
- Practice mutual respect for qualities and experiences that are different from our own.
- Understand that diversity includes not only ways of being but also ways of knowing.
- Recognize that personal, cultural and institutionalized discrimination creates and sustains privileges for some while creating and sustaining disadvantages for others.
- Build alliances across differences so that we can work together to eradicate all forms of discrimination.
Source: Queensborough Community College (2016). Definition of diversity. Retrieved May 5, 2017 from http://www.qcc.cuny.edu/diversity/definition.html
Canadian Centre for Diversity and Inclusion: http://ccdi.ca/
Diversity in the Workplace: http://ccdi.ca/
Toolkit that supports an organizations ability to engage and retain diverse teams: http://hrcouncil.ca/hr-toolkit/diversity-supportive-environment.cfm
Help children explore issues and concepts of diversity: http://www.cyh.com/HealthTopics/HealthTopicDetailsKids.aspx?p=335&np=286&id=2345