Importance of Labour Market Information
Labour Market Information is information collected on occupations and employment trends. The information can tell you about trends across Canada, as well as trends in specific geographic regions, such as Simcoe County. Labour market information tells you:
- What jobs and skills employers are looking for
- Which industries are hiring and have a shortage of workers
- Which industries have a surplus of workers
- Where to find employers who are hiring (cities and communities)
- What working conditions are like for specific industries
- What education and training you need for specific jobs
- What factors can stop you from getting a job
- Which job areas are growing/decreasing in the future
- What are expected salaries for particular occupations
Labour market information can help you make a good decision when you want to find a job, plan your career in Canada, change jobs, or move to a new place. Many things affect the labour market. You need to be aware of technology changes as well as population changes, legislation, and trends. Labour market information can help you discover what the labour market is like for a particular job or that city. For example, if you are a machinist and you move to a town with no factories, you will have a hard time finding work unless you are willing to travel. Looking at labour market information before you move can help you make a good decision.
InMyLanguage.ca has more information about what Canadian employers want available in multiple languages.
Labour Market Information: Simcoe County
A study completed in June 2012 surveyed Simcoe County employers in terms of their needs, trends, and expectations. For more detailed information, download the Digging Deeper: Learning from the Local Labour Market in Simcoe and Muskoka report.
Visit the Simcoe Muskoka Workforce Development Board website to learn more about local labour market trends in Simcoe County.