Sign In
Welcome    .:.    Bienvenue    .:.    مرحبًا بك    .:.    歡迎    .:.    خوش آمدید    .:.    Benvenuti    .:.    Witamy    .:.    Bem-vindo    .:.    ਸੁਆਗਤ
Добро пожаловать     .:.     Bienvenidos     .:.     Maligayang     .:.     வாருங்கள்     .:.     خوش آمدید     .:.     Chào mừng
Working Header Image
Your Rights at Work

If you have questions or concerns about your rights at work, you may choose to speak with your employer or the Human Resources department at your place of employment. If you are uncomfortable approaching your employer or still have questions or concerns after speaking with your employer, you can contact the following:


Employment Standards

The Employment Standards Act is a law in Ontario, which has rules employers must follow. The Employment Standards Act applies for most workers in Ontario; however, it does not apply to workers in federally-regulated industries, such as banks. The standards tell employers what they can and cannot make you do. These include the rules about termination pay, unpaid wages, public holiday pay, minimum wage, hours of work, and leaves. 

Employment Standards Information Centre
GTA: 416-326-7160
Canada-wide: 1-800-531-5551
TTY: 1-866-567-8893

Need other languages?

The Employment Standards Information Centre (1-800-531-5551) provides service in 23 different languages.

Minimum wage is the lowest hourly wage rate an employer can pay an employee. The Ontario Ministry of Labour provides additional information about the minimum wage guidelines, including the current wage rates and exemptions.


Occupational Health and Safety

Occupational Health and Safety Act (OHSA)

Sets out the rights and duties of workers, supervisors, employers and others for safe and healthy workplaces

As a worker, you have the right to:

•      Know about workplace hazards

•      Refuse unsafe work

•      Participate in addressing workplace health and safety issues

Some examples of employer duties are to:

•      Provide basic health and safety awareness training to workers and supervisors

•      Provide information, instruction and supervision to workers on how to work safely

•      Do everything reasonable in the circumstances to protect workers from being hurt or getting a work-related illness

There are a series of training tools to help you learn how to work safely – several available in different languages at

For more information:, email:, or call: Health and Safety Contact Centre toll-free at 1-877-202-0008


Workplace Injury

If you are injured in the workplace, you must first let your employer know so they can make sure no one else is hurt.  Some people who are injured in the workplace are eligible to claim benefits from the Workplace Safety and Insurance Board (WSIB). Also see the Occupational Health and Safety as your concern may relate to the Occupational Health and Safety Act.

The Workplace Safety and Insurance Board
Telephone: 416-344-1000
Toll free: 1-800-387-0750
TTY: 1-800-387-0050
Fax: 416-344-4684 or 1-888-313-7373 has more information about what to do if you get hurt at work available in multiple languages.



The Ontario Human Rights Code is a law about discrimination that states an employer cannot discriminate against you because of your race, ancestry, place of origin, colour, ethnic origin, citizenship, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, family status, or marital status.

Ontario Human Rights Tribunal
416-326-1312 has more information about what to do if you feel harassed or discriminated against at work available in multiple languages.


Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA)

Accessibility is the law in Ontario. The purpose of the AODA is to develop, implement and enforce standards for accessibility related to goods, services, facilities, employment, accommodation, and buildings.

Ontario Ministry of Community and Social Services
Phone: 1-866-515-2025
TTY: 416-325-3408
TTY Toll-Free: 1-800-268-7095
Fax: 416-325-3407


Unions and Worker Advocacy

If you have concerns relating to a workplace union, you can contact the Ontario Labour Relations Board. If you are interested in learning more about unions and union organizing, you can contact the Canadian Labour Congress. This organization advocates on behalf of all workers on workplace issues and workers rights.

Ontario Labour Relation Board

Canadian Labour Congress, Ontario Region

To learn more about local programs and services in Simcoe County, dial 211
or visit .

211 is a free, 24/7 information line with interpretation services in over 150 languages. TTY service is available at 1-888-435-6086.
To have your organization added to the 211 database, contact Community Connection 211 .