ACCEPTANCE - Positive welcome and belonging
*Source: Merriam-Webster (n.d). Definition of acceptance. Retrieved May 11, 2017 from merriam-webster.com.
Self-acceptance: is happiness or satisfaction with one's current self.
Social acceptance: is the ability to accept differences and diversity in other people or
groups or people.
HOW TO TAKE SAFE PURPSOEFULL ACTION
- Consider multicultural holidays in workplace policies/planning
- Designate a prayer space at work
- Provide cultural competency training to management and frontline staff
- Include immigrants in organization's decision making or planning process (e.g. Board of Directors)
- Increase media coverage of immigrant stories and initiatives
- Develop opportunities for seniors to share their stories
- Have multicultural crayons available for children to use
- Understanding the differences of different religions/spiritualties
A cross-cultural training workbook developed by the Peace Corps to help new volunteers acquire the knowledge and skills to work successfully and respectfully in other cultures: http://files.peacecorps.gov/multimedia/pdf/library/T0087_culturematters.pdf
Here Comes Everyone: A resource on teaching in the intercultural classroom from the Alberta Teachers' Association: https://www.teachers.ab.ca/sitecollectiondocuments/ata/publications/human-rights-issues/mon-3%20here%20comes%20everyone.pdf
Quick easy tips to learn to accept and respect other cultures: http://www.wikihow.com/Respect-Other-Cultures